Liam's First Dr. Visit

March 15th

Today we had Liam's first Dr.'s visit. My parents are in town and my mom is going to the Dr.'s apt. with Liam and I. We are meeting JB at the Dr.'s office since it is close to his job.

My mom and I left with plenty of time to get to the Dr.'s office, but you never know with Chicago rush hour traffic. Thankfully we made it to the office a half hour before his appointment. Liam was an awesome as we sat in the waiting room for our name to be called.

Once Liam's name was called, we began his first Dr.'s visit. When we left the hospital, Liam was 10 lbs. and 22 1/2 inches long. At this visit, Liam weighed in at 10.5 lbs. and 23 inches long. The nurse could not get over the fact that I was up and moving around. I have to admit that her amazement at my ability to get around so quickly after birth made me feel great.

I wish I could say the rest of the visit was just as great. Unfortunately, I left the Dr.'s office feeling as if I was the world's worst mom. When we were finally able to see the Dr. our visit consisted of talk regarding breastfeeding vs. formula. I was told that I was given wrong information at the hospital and that I was teaching Liam instant gratification. I was shocked - instant gratification, really? The Dr. also said that Liam could go a day without eating and that he gained too much weight since leaving the hospital. Seriously, this was not what I was expecting. Great, I am going to be one of those mothers who is on Jerry Spring or Jenny Jones with the overweight toddler.

I was already having a hard time with breastfeeding and this just made me feel worst.
The Dr. did a quick exam of Liam and most of my concerns were met with the response that this was normal baby behavior. The exam was a bit too quick for me, but I am a new mom and did not know what to expect. Not to mention, I think the Dr. was more interested in my mom than Liam. Seriously, he asked if my mom was really my sister three times or more.

After three hours my mom, Liam and I left the Dr.'s office. JB had to leave after an hour and a half to get back to work. I expressed my frustrations with my mom as she reassured me that I was doing everything right. This was not at all how I imagined this appointment going

Now what?

Here is a pic of Liam in the office as we wait to see the Dr. Of course it was during his feeding time. Good thing the Dr. didn't see this feeding. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment